Advance Opportunities is accepting applications for Direct Support Professionals to provide employment and vocational support in a variety of work settings for adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. The right candidates will have a great attitude and enjoy providing support to individuals to enable them to reach their person-centered goals. If you have experience working with adults with disabilities or would like to be part of a growing team we encourage you to apply!
Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities
1. Ability to learn new regulations and methodologies quickly.
2. Ability to provide DSPing support to persons served in all existing and new job and training opportunities.
3. Strong ability to develop and maintain professional boundaries with persons served that are supportive and nurturing in nature.
4. Ability to successfully implement agency approved positive support strategies, permitted procedures & Emergency Use of Manual Restraints (if applicable) or successor provisions.
5. Ability to quickly learn new programs, certifications, or licenses and implement them successfully.
6. Knowledge, or ability to quickly gain knowledge, of Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities as well as related conditions and services methodologies.
7. Ability to learn about the Person Centered Service Philosophy and utilize this training to provide person centered services.
8. Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with staff, co-workers, social service providers, residential providers, employers, funders, etc.
9. Effective communication skills – both verbal and in writing.
10. Able to lift 50 lbs. if necessary
11. Able to push/pull 80 pounds if necessary.
Qualifications - Required Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma
- 18 years of age or older
- Pass a criminal background study conducted by the Department of Human Services
- Valid Minnesota Driver’s License and ability to meet agency driving requirements.
- Pass and comply with an Agency Alcohol & Controlled Substance Pre-employment Test & Policy.
- Provide current valid up-to-date proof of First Aid and CPR Certification upon hire from one or more of the following qualified training sources: 1) American Heart Association, 2) American Red Cross and 3) National Safety Council. If not First Aid and/or CPR trained, must successfully pass the applicable courses and provide proof of passing within 2 months of hire.
*Periodic pay increase available through employment